Tuesday, September 2, 2008

90210, the new years

Really? Don't get me wrong, I openly admit I loved the original and I'm intrigued by the fact that a second one has been made but is anyone else noticing that these young actresses desperately need a sandwich? Were the original actresses that thin? The camera is supposed to add 10 pounds, are they kidding? I mean, Jenny Garth looks amazing but the younger girls really look emaciated. What is this world coming to? It's bad enough that teens/young women out there have fashion mags out there teaching them that they have to be super thin, with perfect skin, perfect hair, perfect teeth and perfect breasts, but wouldn't it be nice if a TV show actually showed teens in real life? It's kind of like how I feel about Jessica Simpson being a role model for younger girls, seeing her in that reality show when she was married to Nick, it was embarrassing having her in the same gender! I mean come on, at least pretend that you know how to use a washing machine, or that you can read the directions underneath the cover..... I mean really????
I want younger girls to believe in themselves for their minds, for their sense of self, for their ability to carry on an intelligent conversation, for feeling beautiful on the inside... not because they fit into a size zero jeans that cost $200. i just think that there are more important things in life that we should be teaching our children. I have always been overweight and it has always been an issue, it was never okay in my family. I can remember being 13 years old and having my grandmother ask me "if I really needed" that extra piece of cake, or brownie or whatever it was in front of my whole family, it was mortifying.... All my Mother ever said was that she was never popular because she was overweight growing up and that I would never be asked to a prom, or be part of a group, or have a boyfriend if I didn't watch my weight... well did I prove her wrong!!!??? I was still overweight and I went to 3 proms my senior year, I was in student government, youth ministry, as well as ski club and drama club at my brother's school, I went to an all girls' school and my brother went to an all boys' school... but the kicker of it was that I was the only one that got hurt cause my weight problem never went away and it's been 20 years since I graduated and I'm still battling it. My Mother still has issues with weight, but not necessarily her own, she makes comments to my younger cousins and she makes comments about my niece (who is 4), and it brings me right back to age 12 again. I tell all of my younger cousins and my neice that they are all beautiful, and I tell them that all the time... all the time. I never heard that I was beautiful, oh wait, I heard it once, when I was waiting for one of my prom dates to pick me up, she told me I looked beautiful then.... not that I was beautiful, that I looked beautiful. Trust me, there is a difference, it may not seem like a big deal  but really it is. I don't know I guess I just refuse to let someone I love not feel loved or feel less than desirable for how they look. 
Okay, I guess that's enough ranting for now.... who knew 90210 could be that deep??? I promise not to always be this morose or deep in the future, sometimes I can be funny... sometimes!

No comments: